✔ PENNILESS (to have no money at all)
- I've lost my job, my house, everything. I am penniless. I can't even sell my organs since I have no more left!!!
✔ SKINT (No money - on you)
- I can't buy any more beers, lads. I am skint. I need to pop to the cash machine!
✔ SHORT ON CASH (don't have enough money)
- I am a bit short of cash until Friday. Could you lend me 10 pounds ...and maybe your wife?
✔ STRAPPED FOR CASH (don't have enough money: slang)
- I am a bit strapped for cash this week. Could you lend me a grand until payday?
✔ HARD UP (don't have enough money)
- We're a bit hard up this month because the landlord increased the rent, bastard!!! We might need to borrow 10 pounds... and maybe your wife?
✔ TO LIVE HAND TO MOUTH (to have just enough money to survive to eat)
- Dad, you need to find a new job! We're living hand to mouth. I don't think a mime-artist at a home for blind people was the best career choice!!!
✔ BROKE (to have no money)
- Sorry guys, I can't come out tonight to the pub. I am broke. I spent all my money on some magic beans yesterday!
✔ DESTITUTE (extremely poor)
- We should really help that destitute old man! - What? Tony Blair? Sod him!!!
✔ DIRT-POOR (slang: very poor)
- My darling, but why are you leaving me? Is it because i am dirt-poor or because I haven't showered in 6 months? Or both?
✔ DOWN AND OUT (very poor with no hope)
- I feel so sorry for Paul. Ever since his girlfriend left him he's been down and out. No job, no romance :(((
✔ BANKRUPT (Unable to pay debts)
- Sorry kids, no presents this year. Daddy is bankrupt after my investment into some magic beans went wrong!
✔ RUINED (lost all money and social status)
- Why did I gamble my life away? My house, my family, my golf0club membership and now I am living on the streets... I am ruined!!! Damn those magic beans!!!!
✔ TO MAKE ENDS MEET (to have enough money to survive)
- My salary is low but it's enough to make ends meet; we can afford some food and the bills. But that's it.
✔ TO GET BY (to manage on what little money you have)
- We're able to get by on 10 pounds a week. Ok, we only eat bread and drink toilet water, but still, we're happy!
✔ DON'T HAVE A PENNY TO MY NAME (No money at all)
- Why do you plan on marrying Paul? He doesn't have a penny to his name. You should marry someone better my daughter!
✔ DON'T HAVE TWO PENNIES TO RUB TOGETHER (no money at all)
- Blin! How can we afford a holiday in the Maldives? We can't even afford to buy a KFC bucket. I don't have two pennies to rub together! I will find a job as a mime artist!
✔ TO TIGHTEN OUR BELTS (be stricter when spending money)
- Kids, come and sit with daddy! Sorry my children, but we're going to have to tighten our belts again. No nice food, toys or holidays. It seems no one needs a proctologist these days!